Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Virtual Bait and Switch

I've recently reentered the treacherous world of online dating. The exchanges are often so entertaining, I feel I must share them. I hope this doesn't make me look too cynical and that you'll share in my dismayed amusement.

So, here's an abbreviated exchange:

From the Potential Suitor:

"I think we have quite a few things in common. Let me know if you'd like to meet for a drink one evening."

Editorial:

Well, a little brief and generic, but he has a nice profile and photo...

My Response:

"Definitely! I really enjoyed your profile."

Editorial:

Have deleted the commentary that showed that I had read his profile and found his rather quirky hobby intriguing.

From the Potential Suitor:

"Thanks for replying... How about meeting this Friday or Saturday at 8 PM? I am in the Chelsea area, but you could propose a meeting place that works for you."

Editorial:

I've deleted the witty repartee to protect the innocent. That said, some would recommend against giving up a Friday or Saturday night at prime time for a first date, but I'm so exhausted and busy during the week, I thought this was a good idea.

My Response:

"Friday at 8 is great. I like Chelsea a lot.'

Editorial:

My interpretation of Chelsea was West 14th Street -- albeit a little south of the heart of Chelsea -- as my world now revolves around the Apple Store and the milkshakes in Chelsea Market -- tune in to see what he meant.

From the Potential Suitor:

"How about meeting at

Starbucks:
31st & 7th
370 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10001
(212) 967-2041

Hope you have a great day!"

Editorial:

Huh????? Do they serve drinks at Starbuck's? Is 31st & 7th really considered Chelsea????? Is that really a part of town you want to go to at 8pm on a Friday night????

My Response:

"Hi. If you're interested in meeting at Starbuck's then perhaps we could choose one on the upper west side where I live. I don't drink coffee, but I know that there are a bunch of them within blocks of my apartment. I can look into which one is nicest. There are also some nice wine bars and lounges in the area. See you soon."

Editorial:

Can't wait to see how our story unfolds.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

More! More!

Jay said...

this is quite a cliffhanger...
Please Karen...what was the outcome? wine bar? Starbucks? hot dog cart?